Random Trivia For This Title:
- Carina is Latin for "keel", an appropriate term for Barbossa to give to his daughter.
- The joke Jack Sparrow's uncle tells Jack is the same joke Al PacinoAl Pacino told Johnny DeppJohnny Depp during production of Donnie Brasco: "A skeleton walks into a bar, orders a beer and a mop... "
- The severed heads in the guillotine basket are of the film directors Joachim RĝnningJoachim Rĝnning and Espen SandbergEspen Sandberg.
- Brenton ThwaitesBrenton Thwaites, who plays Henry Turner, is only 12 years younger than Orlando BloomOrlando Bloom and only 4 years younger than Keira KnightleyKeira Knightley. Both play his parents in the film.
- Although this movie was initially claimed to be the last one in the series, a sixth installment was announced after its release.
- The film was being produced as Johnny DeppJohnny Depp was going through a bitter divorce from his wife Amber HeardAmber Heard. He was chronically late to the set, to the point where it ate into the schedule as the set often came to a halt for hours at a time. It got to the point where a production assistant was hired just to wait outside Depp's house and announce that he was awake when they saw the lights inside come on.
- At two hours and nine minutes long, this has been the shortest running time of all the [Pirates of the Caribbean] films. (40 minutes shorter than the longest film in the franchise: At World's End)
- After failing to return for Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Disney reached back out to Martin KlebbaMartin Klebba (Marty), Lee ArenbergLee Arenberg (Pintel) and Mackenzie CrookMackenzie Crook (Raghetti) to return for Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. Only Klebba was able to make it work within his schedule.
- Christoph WaltzChristoph Waltz was originally cast in the role of Captain Brand, but dropped out due to other work commitments. Javier BardemJavier Bardem was then given the role, but the name was changed from Brand to Salazar to sound more Mediterranean to accompany Bardem's Spanish descent. Bardem and Waltz both previously played villains in Daniel CraigDaniel Craig [James Bond] films. Bardem in Skyfall, and Waltz in Spectre.
- In an interview, Orlando BloomOrlando Bloom said this movie will be a soft reboot of the previous installments.
- Javier BardemJavier Bardem's wife Penélope CruzPenélope Cruz starred in the previous installment, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides.
- Paul McCartneyPaul McCartney is seen singing a song "Maggie Mae". It is an old drinking song of the sea from Liverpool and featured on The Beatles "Let it Be" Album. On the album, the song was sung by John LennonJohn Lennon.
- [?] Fredrik Bond, Tim BurtonTim Burton, Alfonso CuarónAlfonso Cuarón, Shawn LevyShawn Levy, Sam RaimiSam Raimi, Rupert SandersRupert Sanders, and Chris WeitzChris Weitz were considered to direct this movie.
- [?] Ansel Elgort, Brenton ThwaitesBrenton Thwaites, Taron EgertonTaron Egerton, [?] George MacKay, and [?] Sam Keeley were all in the running for the role of Henry.
- Salazar's face was full makeup that took Javier 3 hours to put on but the hair was all CG, to achieve this effect Javier's hair had to be pulled to the back and makeup artist added marking dots on his face and head to track the motion of his head in post production.
- After working with each other for the first three Pirates of the Caribbean installments, after Martin KlebbaMartin Klebba got married and learned he was having a daughter, Martin called Mackenzie CrookMackenzie Crook to ask if he could name his baby girl after him. Mackenzie said "Yes, of course!" Martin then named his baby Makenzie Rae Klebba.
- The five finalists for the female lead were [?] Lucy Boynton, [?] Gabriella Wilde, [?] Jenna Thiam, Kaya ScodelarioKaya Scodelario, and [?] Alexandra Dowling. After Brenton ThwaitesBrenton Thwaites was cast, the studio did chemistry tests with Thwaites and the actresses to see who best fit the role. Kaya ScodelarioKaya Scodelario was eventually cast. (Variety)
- The father of Captain Jack Sparrow was played by a Rolling Stone (Keith RichardsKeith Richards) and in this film, the uncle of Captain Jack Sparrow is played by a Beatle (Paul McCartneyPaul McCartney).
- Keira KnightleyKeira Knightley ruled out a return to the franchise after her former co-star Orlando BloomOrlando Bloom suggested he would be open to returning. However, Knightley has stated that to be part of the franchise was an amazing time in her life, but as it took five years of her life, she just can't see herself going back. But, now officially, Keira KnightleyKeira Knightley is returning to franchise.
- In the flashback scene, we see Jack is on a ship called the Wicked Wench. This is actually the Black Pearl, it gets renamed when Davy Jones brings it back from the depths, after it's set ablaze, in the book Pirates of the Caribbean The Price of Freedom, making the book Canon.