Random Trivia For This Title:
- The highest-grossing film of Warren BeattyWarren Beatty's career.
- Dick Van DykeDick Van Dyke who only worked on the film for three days, broke his shoulder when he was shooting the scene where his character is murdered by The Blank. That take was the one that was eventually used in the film.
- Warren BeattyWarren Beatty originally wanted [?] Bob Fosse to direct, but Fosse turned him down. Martin ScorseseMartin Scorsese was also a fan of the comic strip and considered directing at one point, but he lost interest and chose to make Goodfellas.
- One of the hardest characters for the make-up artists to create was "Littleface" Finney, one of the hoodlums killed in the garage shootout at the beginning of the film. The character, as created in the comics, has a normal sized head with a face no bigger the average adult nose. In order to create this effect, a child was cast as Finney and then fitted into an over-sized body and made-up head as shown by behind the scenes photos. His voice is overdubbed in the film and cut-away shots where you only see his back were done with an adult actor.
- During the make-up tests it was suggested that Warren BeattyWarren Beatty be given the detective's famous hooked nose. But after some initial tests the make-up artists decided that it would have been a crime to hide one of the cinema's most famous faces behind putty and latex.
- The garage shooting that opens the movie was inspired by the "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" in which [?] Al Capone's gunmen killed a group of rival hoods in a garage. In the [Dick Tracy] comics, "Big Boy" Caprice's character was originally was inspired by [?] Al Capone.
- At the time of filming, MadonnaMadonna had a relationship with Warren BeattyWarren Beatty.
- Dustin HoffmanDustin Hoffman made a cameo as Mumbles as a favor for Warren BeattyWarren Beatty.
- In this film, Al PacinoAl Pacino co-stars with James CaanJames Caan as rival gangsters. In The Godfather, Pacino played Michael Corleone and Caan played his brother, Sonny.
- Cameos by: Kathy BatesKathy Bates, James CaanJames Caan, Dick Van DykeDick Van Dyke, Dustin HoffmanDustin Hoffman, Catherine O'HaraCatherine O'Hara, Estelle ParsonsEstelle Parsons, Paul SorvinoPaul Sorvino, [?] Mary Woronov, [?] Allen Garfield, Michael J. PollardMichael J. Pollard, John SchuckJohn Schuck and Charles FleischerCharles Fleischer.
- Danny ElfmanDanny Elfman was hired to compose the film score because Warren BeattyWarren Beatty was impressed with his work on Batman. Of working with Beatty, Elfman has said "Warren was insane".