Random Trivia For This Title:
- There are many references to the number "13" throughout the movie. The room is numbered "1408", add each number together equals 13. The room is on the 14th floor, and the Hotel skips the 13th floor, so the room is technically on the 13th floor. The room's key lock also has "6214" etched into it, which adds up to 13. And the first death was in the year 1912, which adds to 13.
- One of the first victims of the room was named "Grady." Grady was a character in The Shining, Stephen KingStephen King's other horror story about a hotel.
- [?] Kate Walsh was originally cast in this film, but was forced to drop out due to scheduling conflicts with the television show [Grey's Anatomy]. She was replaced by Mary McCormackMary McCormack.
- The axe the fireman uses to break down the hotel door at the end of the movie is the same axe that Jack NicholsonJack Nicholson used in The Shining (both movies were also shot at the same studio -- Elstree, in London)
- At one point in the movie Mike wears a hat that says "Paranoia is total awareness". This is a nod to one of Stephen KingStephen King's favorite quotes, "Perfect paranoia is perfect awareness".When the clock starts counting down from 60:00, the movie ends exactly one hour later.
- The initial story inspiration for 1408 came from a collection of real-life news stories about parapsychologist [?] Christopher Chacon's investigation of a notoriously haunted room at the famous Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado, CA, as well as another undisclosed hotel on the East Coast.
- Mary McCormackMary McCormack was pregnant throughout filming, explaining why most shots of her are filmed above the waist.
- As Enslin is walking to 1408, reading the files Olin gave him, he comes across a page that says "My brother was eaten by wolves on the Connecticut Turnpike." This is a reference to Stephen KingStephen King's short story. As Enslin loses his mind in the room, that is the last intelligible thing he says to his tape recorder. His brother actually died of lung cancer.
- John CusackJohn Cusack's second appearance in a Stephen KingStephen King film adaptation. The first was Stand By Me.
- The bottle that Gerald Olin offers Mike Enslin is named "Les Cinquant Sept Décès". In French, it means literally "The fifty seven deaths". And just after that we learn that in the room 1408 there were 56 deaths. So we could have guessed that Mike's fate was "written".