Random Trivia For This Title:
- The name "Sha Ka Ree" is a play on words from the original actor asked to play the part of Sybok: Sean ConnerySean Connery.
- The surface of Shaka-Ri as viewed during reconnaissance by Captain Kirk was generated from an electron microscope image of a lobster's claw.
- Laurence LuckinbillLaurence Luckinbill is the real-life son-in-law of [?] Desi Arnaz and Lucille BallLucille Ball, having married their daughter, Lucie ArnazLucie Arnaz, back in 1980. Desi and Lucy's production company, "Desilu Productions Inc.", produced the first two seasons of [Star] [Trek].
- Stuntman [?] Kenny Bates is credited with the highest descender fall in the U.S., standing in for William ShatnerWilliam Shatner's fall from El Capitan.
- The name of Dr. McCoy's dying father, according to Star Trek III, is David.
- The sick-bay from [Star Trek: The Next Generation] is used, unaltered in the film, which marks the first appearance of [Star Trek]'s LCARS computer system.
- This film contains the first confirmed appearance of Starfleet Marines - the officers accompanying Kirk and crew down to Nimbus III have since been said to be Marines.
- When Spock joins up with Kirk as he climbs El Capitan, he states that the speed record for free climbing El Capitan is in no danger of being broken. While the movie came out in 1989, El Capitan never had been free climbed until 28 years later on June 3, 2017. Rock climber [?] Alex Honnold's preparation and ascent were documented in the Oscar winning documentary Free Solo (2018).
- Max von SydowMax von Sydow was favored for Sybok
- The mountain James Kirk is climbing in Yosemite is named, aptly enough, El Capitan.
- Enterprise-D corridor sets from [Star Trek: The Next Generation] were used as Enterprise-A corridors in this film. Very few cosmetic alterations were made so as not to interfere with filming of the TV series, which was under way at the same time.