Random Trivia For This Title:
- When Stanley (Nicolas CageNicolas Cage) and Carla (Vanessa MarcilVanessa Marcil) are making love on the roof of their apartment, the Sir Elton JohnElton John song "Rocket Man" is playing in the background. This is the same song that Stanley refers to later in the movie (at around 1h 55 mins) when he kills Captain Darrow.
- The scene in which FBI Director Womack is thrown off the balcony was filmed on-location at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco, California. The filming led to numerous calls to the hotel by people who saw a man dangling from the balcony.
- Nicolas CageNicolas Cage was concerned that he "looked like a little Japanese schoolboy" in his S.C.U.B.A. gear while the other actors all looked cool. Michael BayMichael Bay admits to intentionally making him look ridiculous.
- The car chase in San Francisco turned out to be the biggest clusterF^@& I've ever done in my entire filming career, said director Michael BayMichael Bay. He said getting clearances for even a two-block stretch required thousands of signatures, and when they fell behind on the shooting schedule, it resulted in a trio of studio reps arriving to give him a stern talking. Luckily, Sir Sean ConnerySean Connery offered to sit in, which tempered their "reaming" somewhat.
- (at around 1h 22 mins) It took a while for Michael BayMichael Bay to convince Nicolas CageNicolas Cage and Sir Sean ConnerySean Connery to go underwater while flames blasted above the surface at the mark, but both actors eventually agreed. There are safety divers immediately outside of frame during the sequence. "It was very frightening", adds Cage. "And Sean wasn't happy about it."
- In the scene in the interrogation room where FBI agent Stanley Goodspeed introduces himself to John MasonJohn Mason (Sir Sean ConnerySean Connery), John replies "But of course you are". This was exactly the same line he used when he met Plenty O'Toole in the casino scene in the Bond movie Diamonds Are Forever (1971).
- There's a major logic flaw in the movie, said Michael BayMichael Bay. "Why are the boilers working on the Rock when this island hasn't been used for years?" He answers his own question saying "Screw it, it's entertaining, don't you think?".
- Arnold SchwarzeneggerArnold Schwarzenegger was offered the role of John Patrick Mason, but at the time the script was only eighty pages "with a lot of handwriting and scribbles, and it didn't seem fully baked." In a Reddit AMA, he stated he regrets not taking the role. Years later, however, he played a part as a convict with a mysterious past in Escape Plan (2013).
- Ed HarrisEd Harris could not stop laughing at the actor playing the tour guide at Alcatraz. "I just had the giggles that day."
- Ed HarrisEd Harris is still not happy with Michael BayMichael Bay's occasional preference for tight shots while he's acting with his entire body.
- Michael BayMichael Bay's favorite movie of his own.
- Some of the Navy SEALs in this movie were played by real Navy SEALs.
- Reportedly, Sir Sean ConnerySean Connery accepted the part of Mason after learning that Nicolas CageNicolas Cage had been cast as Goodspeed.
- Michael BiehnMichael Biehn, who has played Navy SEALs or some variation thereof on multiple occasions, apparently grew unsure of himself while acting for the first time here against real SEALs He told Michael BayMichael Bay he was freezing up pretending to be the leader in front of them, as well as in Sir Sean ConnerySean Connery's presence.
- It was Nicolas CageNicolas Cage's idea that his character would not swear. His euphemisms include "gee whiz".
- [?] Quentin Tarantino was an uncredited screenwriter on this movie, along with Jonathan HensleighJonathan Hensleigh, who wrote the shooting script, and Aaron SorkinAaron Sorkin.
- While filming, Alcatraz was still open to the public, and many visitors watched the movie being shot. However, on December 15, 1995, the federal government, which owns Alcatraz, partially shut it down, due to stalled budget talks, and filming continued with no visitors present.
- Sir Sean ConnerySean Connery insisted the producers build a cabin for him on Alcatraz, as he didn't want to travel from the mainland to the island every day. He got what he asked for.
- The premiere of the movie was held in the Prison Recreation Yard on Alcatraz.
- Goodspeed only swears twice in this movie when he kills the last two villains. Throughout the rest of the movie, his language is tame, saying words like "gosh" and "friggin", while other characters get the profanity laden lines.