Random Trivia For This Title:
- Anika Noni RoseAnika Noni Rose (Tiana) requested that Tiana be left-handed, because Rose herself is left-handed.
- This is Disney's first 2-D film in which all of the voice actors do both the speaking and singing parts since Beauty and the Beast.
- While the film takes place in the mid-1920s, the time when Prohibition was still enforced until 1933, alcohol is seen being served in Tiana's restaurant, on the riverboat, and at the La Bouffs' masquerade ball. Prohibition was widely ignored in the U.S., generally, and particularly in New Orleans, so this is not very surprising.
- New Orleans celebrity chef Emeril LagasseEmeril Lagasse, who is famous for his Cajun and Creole cuisine, plays the voice of Marlon, one of the alligators who tries to eat Naveen and Tiana in the swamp. He uses his signature "Bam!" line in some of his character's sentences. (Marlon is, of course, named after Marlon BrandoMarlon Brando, star of the New Orleans drama A Streetcar Named Desire).
- The film was originally titled The Frog Princess. Disney changed several key elements to the film after receiving numerous complaints of racial insensitivity. Besides retitling the picture to avoid the implication that the first African-American Disney princess was somehow ugly or animal, the lead character's name changed from Maddy to Tiana, since "Maddy" sounded too much like "Mammy." A subplot about her working as a maid was also dropped to avoid negative stereotypes.
- [?] Jennifer Hudson, [?] Alicia Keys, and [?] Tyra Banks were all considered for the lead role. Keys and Banks personally lobbied the studio for the part. Beyoncé KnowlesBeyoncé Knowles was considered for the role of Tiana but lost out on the role, because she refused to audition.
- One notable similarity between Dr. Facilier and Keith DavidKeith David, who provided his voice, is that both have a prominent gap in their front teeth. The animators also incorporated David's expressions and gestures into the character.
- The star Ray calls "Evangeline" is, in fact, the planet Venus, named for the Roman goddess of love.
- Despite the fact that the characters they voice appear to be in their late 30s to early 40s, [?] Terrance Howard (the voice of Tiana's father, James) and Oprah WinfreyOprah Winfrey (the voice of Tiana's mother, Eudora) significantly differ in age; Howard was 40 when the movie came out and Winfrey nearly 56. Also, despite the fact that she voices a young woman, Anika Noni RoseAnika Noni Rose (the voice of Tiana) was 37 when the movie came out.
- Disney's first fairy tale film since Aladdin.
- Dr. Facilier is the only character in the film to refer to himself by that name. All the others call him "The Shadow Man."
- Right at the beginning of the opening credits song, "Down in New Orleans," you can see someone shaking a carpet out their window. It is the same as the magic flying carpet in Aladdin, which was also directed by Ron ClementsRon Clements and John MuskerJohn Musker.
- When Louis (the alligator) is singing about becoming a human being, he mentions Louis ArmstrongLouis Armstrong and, at the same time, pulls some Spanish Moss from a tree and wipes the left side of his mouth. In his later life, Louis ArmstrongLouis Armstrong suffered damage to his lips from years of blowing high notes on his horn. This caused the left side of his mouth to dribble saliva. Armstrong kept a handkerchief in his left hand and frequently wiped his mouth.
- When Dr. Facilier asks the spirits from the other side for help finding Prince Naveen, one of the shadows looks like Frank, the rabbit from Donnie Darko.
- Considering Tiana spends a large amount of the film naked (in frog form) she actually has more costume changes than any other Disney princess. Two waitress uniforms, two costumes at the costume ball, one white outfit in the shadow man's illusion, one dress in the Bayou wedding, one in the church wedding and one in the final Tiana's Palace scene (this doesn't include the childhood flashbacks).
- According to the directors, the main reason Jim CummingsJim Cummings was cast as Ray was because he actually lived in New Orleans for years and could do the required Cajun accent.
- Tiana is one of only two Disney princesses to not be entirely human in her film. The other being Ariel from The Little Mermaid.