|Like this page? Click here: |
Pretty Woman  (1 disc) ...
(1 hour 59 minutes)
Synopsis: A man in a legal but hurtful business needs an escort for some social events, and hires a beautiful prostitute he meets ... only to fall in love.
Reaction: Cute and, at times, touching. A bit cliched these days, but handled well.
Personal Rating: 7/10
Random Trivia For This Title:
- You can see Richard GereRichard Gere moving his tongue around inside his mouth as he is at the door of the penthouse yelling at Stuckey when he fires him and throws him out of the penthouse after catching him molesting Vivian. This is because Gere actually knocked a crown off of a molar during the scene, according to the director's commentary by Garry MarshallGarry Marshall on the DVD.
- When they filmed the scene with Vivian talking about wanting to be a princess who's rescued from a tower, they still hadn't written the movie's ending where Edward "rescues" Vivian.
- Richard GereRichard Gere improvised the scene where Edward snaps the necklace case down on Vivian's (Julia RobertsJulia Roberts) fingers, and Roberts's reaction (laughter) was totally natural. The filmmakers liked it so much, they decided to leave it in.
- Richard GereRichard Gere and Julia RobertsJulia Roberts had obvious chemistry upon their first meeting. However, Gere was not planning on taking the role. He was on the phone ready to turn down the part when Roberts slid him a Post-it note with the words "please say yes" written on it. He accepted the role right then.
- The bathtub in the scene where Vivian is singing had a lot of detergent in it to make a lot of thick bubbles. The detergent was so strong that it rinsed the red dye out of Julia RobertsJulia Roberts' hair. She had to have her hair re-dyed late that night.
- During the sex scene, Julia RobertsJulia Roberts got so nervous a visible vein popped out of her forehead. Director Garry MarshallGarry Marshall got into bed with Julia and Richard GereRichard Gere. Marshall and Gere massaged her forehead until the vein disappeared. Julia also broke into hives and was given calamine lotion until they were finally able to shoot the scene.
- Richard GereRichard Gere is actually playing the piano. He also composed the piece of music that is played.
- The opera Richard GereRichard Gere takes Julia RobertsJulia Roberts to is La Traviata, which is about a prostitute who falls in love with a wealthy man.
- Al PacinoAl Pacino turned down the role of Edward after a screen test with Julia RobertsJulia Roberts.
- While shooting the scene where Vivian (Julia RobertsJulia Roberts) is lying down on the floor of Edward's penthouse watching old [I Love Lucy (1951)] re-runs, in order to achieve a genuine laughter director Garry MarshallGarry Marshall had to tickle Roberts' feet (out of camera range) to get her to laugh so hysterically.
- Disney didn't want Julia RobertsJulia Roberts for the role of Vivian, instead they wanted Meg RyanMeg Ryan.
- Burt ReynoldsBurt Reynolds was offered the role of Edward Lewis but declined. He jokingly said on [the Piers Morgan show] in 2012 that after he saw the film and the love-making scenes with Julia RobertsJulia Roberts, that he made a mistake in not taking the part.
- Disney told Garry MarshallGarry Marshall there was no money available in the budget for Hector ElizondoHector Elizondo, so Garry paid his salary out of his own pocket. Eventually, Disney relented and repaid Garry the money.
- John TravoltaJohn Travolta auditioned for the role of Edward.
- Drew BarrymoreDrew Barrymore auditioned for the role of Vivian, but was turned down because director Garry MarshallGarry Marshall felt that she was too young for the part.
- Demi MooreDemi Moore turned down the role of Kit.
- Winona RyderWinona Ryder auditioned for the role of Vivian, but was turned down, because director Garry MarshallGarry Marshall felt that she was too young for the character.
- Diane LaneDiane Lane was very close to playing Vivian Ward, but had to pull out at the final moment due to scheduling conflicts. The script was much darker then. She has since co-starred with Richard GereRichard Gere in three other movies.
- Christopher ReeveChristopher Reeve was originally considered for the Edward Lewis role.
- Daryl HannahDaryl Hannah turned down the part of Vivian as she felt it denigrated women.
- Jodie FosterJodie Foster, after she won her first Oscar in The Accused (1988), said she was very interested in playing the role of Vivian.
- John TravoltaJohn Travolta auditioned for the role of Edward, which eventually went to Richard GereRichard Gere, and the movie went on to become an international success. In 1979, Travolta turned down the lead role in American Gigolo (1980), which then went to Gere and also became a hit.
- Uma ThurmanUma Thurman auditioned for the role of Vivian.
- Garry MarshallGarry Marshall reunited with Julia RobertsJulia Roberts, Richard GereRichard Gere and Hector ElizondoHector Elizondo in Runaway Bride (1999), which included Joan CusackJoan Cusack who was considered for the role of Vivian in this film.
- Albert BrooksAlbert Brooks and Sylvester StalloneSylvester Stallone turned down the role of Edward Lewis.
- Harrison FordHarrison Ford, Bruce CampbellBruce Campbell, Danny GloverDanny Glover and John HeardJohn Heard were considered to play Edward, before Richard GereRichard Gere was cast.
- According to an interview in 2009, director Werner HerzogWerner Herzog was approached by Richard GereRichard Gere to direct the film when it was still a dark drama. He politely declined.
- For years it was reported that Molly RingwaldMolly Ringwald turned down the role of Vivian, but she told the Atlantic during an interview in 2010 that that was a myth. She said "A script came across my desk, and I can't recall if it was even a firm offer or not. I don't even know if Richard GereRichard Gere was attached to the picture. I don't even know whether I did turn it down. But it still makes a really good Hollywood story." She also said she couldn't imagine anyone else in that role except Julia RobertsJulia Roberts. The part was meant for her and the film is what it is because of her.
- Jennifer ConnellyJennifer Connelly reportedly turned down the role of Vivian.
- Dennis QuaidDennis Quaid was considered for the role of Edward Lewis.
- Lea ThompsonLea Thompson auditioned for the main role thinking the movie was a drama film rather than a romantic comedy.
- Valeria GolinoValeria Golino was originally offered the role of Vivian but turned it down. She was the finalist along with Julia RobertsJulia Roberts.
- Christopher LambertChristopher Lambert was considered for the role of Edward Lewis at the time Molly RingwaldMolly Ringwald was in the running to play Vivian.
- Kristin DavisKristin Davis did an audition for the role of Vivian but turned it down.
- Disney executives originally wanted Sean ConnerySean Connery and Meg RyanMeg Ryan in the lead roles.
- Wayne KnightWayne Knight was considered for the role of Philip Stuckey which went to Jason AlexanderJason Alexander. Wayne KnightWayne Knight would later co-star with Alexander in [Seinfeld (1989)] which Knight auditioned for the role of George Costanza, a role that also went to Jason AlexanderJason Alexander and Knight ultimately got the part of the menacing character named Newman.
- British actress [?] Emily Lloyd turned down the lead as she'd already been cast as [?] Cher's daughter Charlotte in Mermaids (1990).
- Robin WilliamsRobin Williams was considered for the role of Edward.
- Sarah Jessica ParkerSarah Jessica Parker was offered the role of Vivian, but she disliked the part. However, Parker would play a sexy character many years later, Carrie Bradshaw, on the popular TV series [Sex and the City (1998)].