Random Trivia For This Title:
- Not counting flashbacks, Cobb's wedding ring only appears in scenes where he is dreaming.
- Although Tom BerengerTom Berenger appears in several scenes, the only scene where his character is "real" (That is, when he's not a projection of someone else's subconscious or being impersonated by Eames) is his first appearance in Maurice Fischer's office.
- James FrancoJames Franco was in talks with Christopher NolanChristopher Nolan to play Arthur, but was ultimately unavailable due to scheduling conflicts.
- Evan Rachel WoodEvan Rachel Wood was Christopher NolanChristopher Nolan's first choice to play Ariadne, but she turned it down. Before Elliot PageElliot Page was offered and accepted the role, Nolan considered casting Emily BluntEmily Blunt, Rachel McAdamsRachel McAdams, Emma RobertsEmma Roberts, Jessy SchramJessy Schram, [?] Taylor Swift and Carey MulliganCarey Mulligan.
- The Hollywood Reporter reported that Brad PittBrad Pitt and Will SmithWill Smith were separately offered to play the role of Cobb, but both actors passed on the role.
- There are a total of five Academy Award nominees in the cast (Tom BerengerTom Berenger, Leonardo DiCaprioLeonardo DiCaprio, Pete PostlethwaitePete Postlethwaite, Ken WatanabeKen Watanabe, Elliot PageElliot Page) and two Academy Award Winners (Michael CaineMichael Caine and Marion CotillardMarion Cotillard).
- According to Cinematographer [?] Wally Pfister, Warner Brothers executives approached Christopher NolanChristopher Nolan about making the film in 3D, but he refused the idea, claiming "it will distract the storytelling experience of Inception".
- Joseph Gordon-LevittJoseph Gordon-Levitt performed all but one of his own stunts during the fight scene in the spinning hallway.
- Joseph Gordon-LevittJoseph Gordon-Levitt went to his audition after a brief character summary, wearing a full suit "just in case", unknowingly matching his character's wardrobe perfectly.
- The role of Saito was written exclusively for Ken WatanabeKen Watanabe because Christopher NolanChristopher Nolan felt that although he had appeared in Batman Begins, he did not have much screen time, and should therefore be given a more prominent supporting role.
- In an interview with 'Entertainment Weekly', Christopher NolanChristopher Nolan explained that he based roles of the Inception team similar to roles that are used in filmmaking - Cobb is the director, Arthur is the producer, Ariadne is the production designer, Eames is the actor, Saito is the studio, and Fischer is the audience. "In trying to write a team-based creative process, I wrote the one I know," said Nolan.
- Despite prominent billing, Michael CaineMichael Caine only gets three minutes of screentime.
- Kate WinsletKate Winslet was approached for the role of Mal, but turned it down, citing that she couldn't see herself as the character.
- When Cobb gave Ariadne the puzzle test, Ariadne's final solution was a diagram of King Minos' Labyrinth. Ariadne is the name of King Minos' daughter in the same mythology. In Greek mythology, she helps Theseus to kill the minotaur by providing him with a sacred sword and a string to find the way and out of his trap - a labyrinth.
- In the city scene on the first level of the dream with Fischer, the state motto on the license plates of the cars reads "The Alternate State".
- Dom Cobb's main objective is to get Home. His name, Dom, literally means 'home' in most Slavic languages. The root word "*dom" comes from the Latin word "Domus". Words like 'Domesticated' and 'Domicile' all share the same "*dom" root.
- Ariadne's hair is in a tight bun in the hotel sequence so filmmakers didn't have to figure out how her hair should move in zero-gravity.
- If you take the first letters of the main characters' names - Dom, Robert, Eames, Arthur, Mal and Saito - they spell "Dreams". If you add Peter, Ariadne and Yusuf, the whole makes "Dreams Pay", which is what they do for a mind thief.