Random Trivia For This Title:
- Dr Catheter can be seen carrying a pod from Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
- When Billy is tied up to a dental chair, the gremlin Daffy in dental gear attacks him with a tooth drill and says "Is it safe?". This is a reference to the movie Marathon Man.
- After Gremlins became such a surprise success, Warner Bros. immediately wanted a sequel, but director Joe DanteJoe Dante had had enough Gremlins for a while and declined. Work on Gremlins 2 proceeded without him, as the studio approached various directors and writers. Storylines considered included sending the gremlins to cities like Las Vegas or even the planet Mars. After these ideas fell through, the studio finally asked Dante again, who agreed on the condition that he be allowed to do anything he wanted. He also received a bigger budget. In the DVD commentaries for both the original film and the sequel, Dante stated that he felt that Gremlins 2 was a case of waiting too long to capitalize on the success of the original, which hurt the sequel's chances of success.
- When Gremlins 2 made its debut on home video, the filmmakers altered the film-breaking scene, to make it seem as if VCRs had been broken by the gremlins. This time actor John WayneJohn Wayne forces the gremlins into continuing the film, although voice impersonation was needed since Wayne had been dead since 1979. Notably, a clip from Falling Hare, featuring Bugs Bunny and a gremlin, appears in this version.
- Tim CurryTim Curry was considered for the voice of the Brain Gremlin.
- The mother scolding the theater manager regarding the movie's inappropriate tone for children was based in fact. During a screening of Gremlins, Joe DanteJoe Dante really was excoriated by a mother who walked out of the theater with her daughter during the infamous kitchen massacre sequence. The daughter begged to be let back in the theater, got free from the mother, and hid in the theater to watch the rest of the film.
- Gizmo refers to Mr. Wing as "Keye LukeKeye Luke", which is, of course, the actor's real name.
- In the original script, the Daniel Clamp character had been written as a villain. Joe DanteJoe Dante felt John GloverJohn Glover's almost whimsical approach to his role lightened the film in general and during filming this was changed.
- Director Cameo: [Joe DanteJoe Dante] as the director of Grandpa Fred's show.
- At one point, one of the ideas for the ending of the movie was that the gremlins were supposed to be killed by Daniel Clamp filling the building up with cement. That was until the animators discovered that they had the technology to create an "electrical" Gremlin, which they realized could improve the storyline (and its ending).
- Aside from Mohawk, the other three Mogwai created from Gizmo are called George, Lenny, and Daffy (the first two referring to [?] John Steinbeck's novel Of Mice And Men, the latter referring to Daffy Duck).