Random Trivia For This Title:
- The FBI agents are called "Hoovers," a reference to legendary top-G-man J. Edgar HooverJ. Edgar Hoover, but also a clever reference to a vacuum cleaner brand. There are numerous shots of vacuums being used to gather DNA evidence.
- To fully assume Jerome's identity, Vincent (at 5' 11") undergoes extension surgery in his legs to match Jerome's recorded height of 6' 1". In reality, Jude LawJude Law and Ethan HawkeEthan Hawke are both 5' 11".
- The icons used to denote a Valid versus an In-Valid have significant meaning. On the scanners, an infinity symbol appears next a Valid's name, denoting their "infinite potential." Next to an In-Valid's name, a dagger appears. In taxonomy, a dagger next to a taxon indicates extinction. In addition, the dagger symbol resembles a cross, a reference to In-Valids being referred to as "God Children" (As Irene states when Vincent reveals his true identity to her).
- Public address announcements in the Gattaca Corporation headquarters building are in Esperanto, an artificial language invented in the 19th century.
- Jude LawJude Law's character asks to be called by his middle name, Eugene. "Eugene" comes from the Greek for "well born," which he is. "Eugenics" (the science of improving the hereditary qualities of a race or breed) is the central theme of the film.
- The name "Gattaca" is composed entirely of the letters used to label the nucleotide bases of DNA. The four nitrogen bases of DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid) are adenine, thymine, cytosine, and guanine.
- Andrew NiccolAndrew Niccol's directorial debut.
- Uma ThurmanUma Thurman and Ethan HawkeEthan Hawke became a couple during the filming of this movie. They eventually married in 1998, and had two children, but divorced in 2005.
- The winding stairs in Jerome's apartment have a helical structure, like DNA.
- When Gattaca was first released, as part of a marketing campaign there were adverts for people to call up and have their children genetically engineered. Thousands of people called, wanting to have their offspring genetically engineered.