Random Trivia For This Title:
- In Selina's apartment, her neon sign read "Hello There". But after she trashed her apartment, she knocked out the "O" in "Hello" and the "T" in "There", which caused the sign to read "Hell Here".
- Composer Danny ElfmanDanny Elfman was one of the off-screen tomato and lettuce throwers during the Penguin's botched speech.
- Michelle PfeifferMichelle Pfeiffer got through 60 catsuits during the 6 month shoot, at a cost of $1,000 a time.
- Christopher WalkenChristopher Walken's character is named Maximillian Shreck. In addition to the fact that "schreck" is the German word meaning "terror," the actor [?] Max Schreck played the first-ever vampire depicted on film in the silent-era classic Nosferatu, eine Symphonie des Grauens.
- The first script draft of Batman Returns was intended to be a direct-sequel to the previous film. As a result, sub plots and continuity from the first film that would have been addressed included gift shops selling fragments of the destroyed Bat-Wing, further revelations into the past of the now deceased Jack Napier AKA Joker, and even Bruce Wayne proposing to Vicki Vale by the end of the film. However, Tim BurtonTim Burton was uncomfortable in making a direct sequel and as a result, the script was rewritten. However, several plot elements from the original script did make it into the final draft. This included the Penguin and Catwoman's alliance, their framing of Batman, and the Dark Knight's escape via Bat-Glider. Further elements even made their way into the third film, Batman Forever, most notably the storming of Wayne Manor and the Batcave.
- The final shot of the film, in which Catwoman is seen looking at the Bat-signal, was added as an afterthought, literally weeks before the film opened. The shot had to be filmed on a weekend, less than a day after conception, with a double for Michelle PfeifferMichelle Pfeiffer. That single shot cost $250,000.
- Security was so tight on the production that even Kevin CostnerKevin Costner was refused permission to visit the set. Warner Brothers employed a private investigator firm when some shots of Danny DeVitoDanny DeVito in costume made it into the tabloids.
- During one scene, Michelle PfeifferMichelle Pfeiffer had to put a live bird in her mouth.
- When The Penguin first decides to run for mayor, someone puts a cigarette in his mouth, with a cigarette holder. A reference The Penguin from the batman TV show.
- The Penguin's line: "I am an animal. I am *not* a human being," is a work on John HurtJohn Hurt's line: "I am not an animal! I am a human being! I am a man!" as John Merrick in The Elephant Man.
- Danny DeVitoDanny DeVito refused a stand-in during the scene where the Penguin gets pelted with rotten food by an angry mob.