Random Trivia For This Title:
- [?] Jeff Nichols and [?] Noam Murro were considered to direct the film.
- Arthur Curry and his father Tom Curry (played by Jason MomoaJason Momoa and Temuera MorrisonTemuera Morrison) are portrayed as being of Polynesian nationality, with Momoa being Hawaiian and Morrison being Maori. Momoa has said that he was proud of making Aquaman a Polynesian, as Polynesiands have a strong aquatic heritage.
- First DCEU movie to cross a billion dollars at the worldwide box office and the first DC comics movie to cross a billion since The Dark Knight Rises (2012).
- Michael Kenneth WilliamsMichael Kenneth Williams and [?] Michael Jai White expressed interest in playing Black Manta.
- Djimon HounsouDjimon Hounsou has appeared in the DC extended universe as King Ricou in Aquaman, as the titular wizard in Shazam and also in Constantine as Midnite. In the Marvel Movie Universe Djimon was Korath in both Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel. He also voiced T'Challa in the animated version of [Black Panther].
- Arthur and Orm are elder and younger brothers, but Patrick WilsonPatrick Wilson is five years older than Jason MomoaJason Momoa, while Nicole KidmanNicole Kidman, who plays their mother, is seven years older than Wilson.
- Jason MomoaJason Momoa was surprised to be cast as Aquaman because the character in the comics is a blond-haired Caucasian man who actually looks a lot like his co-star Patrick WilsonPatrick Wilson. Zack SnyderZack Snyder wanted to break the barrier of not having any mixed-race heroes in the DC Universe's films and knew that Momoa was the only choice to play Aquaman.
- Amber HeardAmber Heard declared in an interview on [Good Morning America (1975)] that she would read books between takes and that Jason MomoaJason Momoa would purposely rip out their pages so she would pay attention to him. Eventually, her reading material was kept in a special book bag made of "green screen" fabric, which allowed her to keep her books close even when filming special effects shots.
- James WanJames Wan drew influence from horror writer [?] H.P. Lovecraft, whose novels involved man-eating fish people and tentacle creatures deep under the ocean. Furthermore, Thomas Curry has a Lovecraft novel, "The Dunwich Horror", in his house and when Kane appears in his Black Manta suit, he quotes a line from Lovecraft's novel "The Call of Ctulhu".
- The backstory of Atlantis is very similar to the one in Atlantis: The Lost Empire, where Atlantis used to be a highly advanced civilization on the surface but its king's misguided attempt to weaponize an object caused the city to be sank into the sea. The king then sealed that object away so as not to let others use it in the wrong ways again.
- Director James WanJames Wan believed that what makes Aquaman unique is his Atlantean heritage, saying, "We're used to superhero movies where the threat is from another dimension or aliens from another universe coming here and trying to destroy our Earth. But we haven't seen one where the main threat is from a massive, massive civilization that is right under our nose, in the ocean.... The idea that there could be a massive civilization living right underneath [us] that we don't know about is kind of scary and exciting."
- Nicole KidmanNicole Kidman was director James WanJames Wan's top choice for the role of Atlanna. They were previously set to work together on a remake of At the End of the Spectra (2006), but the film was scrapped. Kidman has been a long-time supporter of Wan's career and has publicly raved about his films Insidious (2010) and The Conjuring (2013), calling him "The New Master of Horror." She was also eager to join as filming took place in her home country of Australia.
- Director James WanJames Wan confirmed that Atlanteans would not talk inside protective speech bubbles as portrayed by Zack SnyderZack Snyder in Justice League (2017). When asked about it, he said, "People are overthinking it. They're just gonna talk!"
- According to Amber HeardAmber Heard, the underwater scenes required cast members to be hosed down and then being filmed on a cold soundstage.
- Jason MomoaJason Momoa admitted to playing pranks on all of his fellow cast members during filming except for Nicole KidmanNicole Kidman.
- A number of underwater waterfalls are seen in the film. This is an actual phenomenon. The ocean is made up of two different layers of water: warm, light water and cold, dense water; the difference in densities means the layers are separate and causes the heavier cold water to fall, forming a waterfall.
- Jason MomoaJason Momoa specifically requested Temuera MorrisonTemuera Morrison for the role of Arthur's father, Temuera MorrisonTemuera Morrison is one of Momoa's acting idols.
- Nicole KidmanNicole Kidman immediately accepted the role of Atlanna when director James WanJames Wan said that she could wear "Mother-of-Pearl and be a Mermaid Warrior."
- James WanJames Wan revealed he had a choice of choosing to direct between The Flash (centred on the Flash) and Aquaman, but chose Aquaman because he is the underdog.
- Patrick WilsonPatrick Wilson (King Orm) is the fourth actor from Watchmen (2009) to appear in the DC Extended Universe, after Carla GuginoCarla Gugino (Kelor in Man of Steel (2013)), Jeffrey Dean MorganJeffrey Dean Morgan (Thomas Wayne in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)), and Billy CrudupBilly Crudup (Henry Allen in Justice League (2017)). Before being adapted to film, "Watchmen" was also a comic book series published by DC Comics.